- Partnership between URI and MikeWorldWide provides student opportunities -
- Researchers explore the racial and gender politics of Barstool Sports -
- Looking Back at Our Year - This year, the Harrington School offered a variety of events to our students. Here are some of our favorite events this year. This spring, ProPublica reporters Kathleen McGrory and Neil Bedi spoke to students at the second annual Taricani Lecture titled “Finding the Truth: Investigative Journalism in the Digital Era.” McGrory and Bedi discussed their […]
- Fall 2022 Faculty Publications, Conferences, and Grants - When they weren’t in the classroom, our faculty were conducting research in their chosen fields. Here are some highlights: Dr. Emily Diamond, assistant professor of Communication Studies and Marine Affairs, published two articles and gave a presentation this year, all focusing on climate change and clean energy in the United States. For her most recent […]
- The Harrington (Summer) Experience - While the summer is often a time to relax, some students from the Harrington School of Communication and Media spent their summers traveling, taking classes and interning for companies. There are many ways that Harrington students get involved and find these opportunities. Some students found opportunities through their professors, while other students found them in […]
- Helping R.I. communities depolarize and resist divisive rhetoric -
- Isobel McCullough is saving the sounds of South County’s beaches. - For her undergraduate honors thesis, Isobel McCullough decided she would record the sonic profiles of seven southern Rhode Island beaches. The result, South County Soundscapes: Rhode Island’s Vanishing Coastline, is an artistic investigation inspired by science, McCullough says.
- URI Communication Studies student named among first cohort of Obama-Chesky Voyager Scholarship recipients - Katie Riedy has been named among the inaugural 100 recipients of the prestigious Obama-Chesky Voyager Scholarship for Public Service, providing her support to pursue her interests in LGBTQ+ issues.
- Gift from Rhode Island PBS will support independent films by URI students - A gift from Rhode Island PBS to the University of Rhode Island’s Harrington School of Communication and Media will help undergraduate students to pursue independent film projects.
- Madison Jones on Deep Mapping, Environmental Advocacy, and Science Writing - Madison Jones won a 2022 CCCC Technical and Scientific Communication Award for his co-authored article “Deep Mapping for Environmental Communication Design."
- “SEARCHDOG” has Rhode Island broadcast premiere - Professor Mary Healey Jamiel’s critically acclaimed film to air on RIPBS
- “Humanity in War Reporting: Bringing Authentic, Individual Experiences of War into Conflict Journalism” - 2022 Amanpour Lecture featuring award-winning international correspondent, Jane Ferguson
Thursday, October 20, 2022, 7:00pm [watch the video]
- Harrington School alum scores two college Emmys for student film - A film produced as part of a senior capstone project has earned a URI Film/Media alum two college Emmy awards from National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences’ New England Chapter.
- 2022 Message from the Director and Associate Director. - Director’s Message Happy summer to you! I am grateful to be part of the Harrington School, where talented faculty and staff and engaged students make it a special place to work. As I complete my first year as director, I am thankful for the opportunities the school provides. It was a challenging academic year for […]
- 2022 Updates and Announcements - Ranger Hall Reopening- Fall 2022 We are excited to announce that phase two of the Ranger Hall renovation will be completed over the summer and the building will open for students in Fall 2022! This exciting project marks the complete overhaul of Ranger Hall and brings many innovative spaces to the Harrington School, including a […]
- Fall 2021 – Spring 2022 Faculty Publications, Conferences, and Grants - The Harrington School of Communication and Media faculty have had a very productive year. Our highly accomplished filmmakers, documentary artists, researchers, and authors are making important contributions to their respective disciplines. Research and creative works this academic year include internationally acclaimed films to peer-reviewed research that is breaking new ground on a variety of topics. […]
- Melissa Villa Nicholas on a Latinx History of Technology -
- Celebrating 2022 Promotion and Award Winners - Congratulations to our faculty who were promoted this year and award winners. We are honored to recognize these members of our community and grateful for their academic excellence and contributions to the Harrington School of Communication and Media: Promotions: Ashish Chadha – Promotion to Full Professor Sarah Daly-Van-Oot – Promotion to Senior Lecturer Jerry Jalette– […]
- Harrington School Fall ’21- Spring ’22 Featured Events - Read a wrap-up of some of our the highlights during the 2021-22 academic year with nationally recognized communications and media professionals and unique opportunities for students.
- 2021-2022 Harrington School Retirees - We honor the work and achievements of Harrington School of Communication and Media faculty retiring this year: Guo-Ming Chen, Lynne Derbyshire, John Pantalone, Vincent Petronio, Nedra Reynolds, and Judith Swift.
- Professor Emily Diamond Recipient of Research Award -
- SCM 490X Collaborative Storytelling: Oceans - This course is an opportunity for URI students to collaborate on creative teams to produce multimedia stories about the ocean.
- Chasing Awe and Wonder - Assistant Professor Jason Jaacks on why nature is the greatest show on earth.
- Tell Us #WhyURI - We want to know why students like you have chosen to make URI their home in 2022.
- Aniebiet Okon on Graphic Design in Sports Media - The sports media major gained out-of-the-classroom experience working building the football team’s brand and social media reach as a a graphic design intern for the athletic department.