- President and Publisher, Rhode Island Monthly
John J. Palumbo, Sr. is the owner of Rhode Island Monthly Communications, a preeminent multi-platform provider of lifestyle information in Rhode Island and nearby Southern New England. The company produces several periodicals, most notably Rhode Island Monthly Magazine, and provides additional information via several digital and electronic platforms, such as e-newsletters, websites, etc.
Palumbo has been in marketing communications and media for more than 30 years after graduating from URI with a journalism degree in 1976. He has worked in the advertising agency, retail advertising and sales promotion, and media fields during that time. Companies he has worked for include The Providence Journal Company, Duffy & Shanley and CVS/Caremark.
Achievements & Awards
- Recipient of the Doctorate of Public Service from Rhode Island College
- Inaugural member of the Providence Warwick Convention & Visitors Bureau Hall of Fame
- Recipient of several Bellringer Awards from the Publicity Club of New England for excellence in public relations
- Past President of the City & Regional Magazine Association (national)
- Past Chair of the Rhode Island Zoological Society (Roger Williams Park Zoo) and the Providence Warwick Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Current board member of Crossroads Rhode Island, Trinity Repertory Company, the Rhode Island Zoological Society
- Recipient of the Mary Brennan Spirit of Tourism Award in Rhode Island from the Rhode Island Hospitality & Tourism Association
- The Rhode Island Zoological recognized his achievements as board chair by naming the new veterinary hospital after him (John J. Palumbo Veterinary Hospital)
Advice for Students
The rapid convergence of communication channels makes this study of media, communication and related disciplines a fascinating and fast moving curriculum. An ability for a student of same to be flexible, to be a quick learner, to be able to adapt to new ideas and techniques is critical. Whether one runs a small business or large, a perspective employee with versatile skills is very desirable as employers also must meet this fast changing world. I would encourage all Harrington School students to embrace all disciplines (almost like a tasting of various food stuffs) as it will come in handy in their careers ahead.