As a BCBSRI communications and public/community relations intern, the student will work on a variety of projects within the departments of internal communications and community/public relations. Interns will gain experience focused in media relations, internal communications, public relations, and social media.
Interns are treated as team members and given tasks that provide them with the ability to grow in their future professional careers. Student(s) must be willing to travel to the BCBSRI corporate office at 500 Exchange Street, Providence, a minimum of twice a week/15 hours per week. After interning, each student will leave with a portfolio of work completed throughout the internship experience. This is an unpaid position that will afford academic credit for an undergraduate program. A full application includes a cover letter and resume.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Works with the public relations department on initiatives including drafting and executing on releases, media advisories, talking points, social media content, external campaigns, etc.
- Works with the community relations department on various projects that might include interacting with the nonprofit/charitable sector in RI, drafting employee communications, conducting online research, data entry, coordinating volunteer events/logistics, and contributing to idea development for project execution.
- Works with the internal communications department on initiatives including drafting and executing on internal event planning, drafting employee communications, talking points, intranet content, flyers/posters, etc.
- Assists with increasing visibility on social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram for the corporate channels.
- Builds and maintains relevant local and national media lists.
- Provides assistance during events and event planning/prep.
- Works with other internal “clients” to facilitate the completion of internal projects.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Must be currently enrolled in a degree program, ideally in Marketing, Communications, Writing, or Public Relations.
- Currently in good standing with a 3.0 minimum cumulative GPA.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities:
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent written, verbal, analytical, and research skills.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications.
- Highly technical and detail-oriented abilities.
- Strong attention to detail.
Apply by visiting their website.