Library and Information Studies
The following are required for admission to the MLIS program.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- A 500-800 word statement of purpose (the online application form refers to this as a “personal statement”)
- An undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or better
- Two letters of recommendation, preferably from previous instructors or employers
- Unofficial digital transcripts (to be uploaded to your application) and official transcripts. Please follow the instructions on the Graduate School admissions page for submitting official transcripts.
- A current resume
- $65 application fee, plus Centralized Application System (CAS) fees
- Proof of residency in the state of Rhode Island for in-state tuition, or MA, ME, NH, CT or VT for regional tuition
Below are the required deadlines for admission and financial aid. Students may apply to start the program in the fall, spring, or summer semesters.
- Fall Admission: June 15*
- Spring Admission: October 15
- Summer Admission: March 15
*For university-wide financial assistance, the application package must be received by January 15 for Fall admission.
Application to GSLIS is made online through the URI Graduate School. Application instructions, tuition information and more can be found on the Graduate School’s Admission page. For additional assistance, contact the GSLIS office at 401.874.2878 or Olivia Phillips at email@example.com.
The GSLIS Admission Committee will evaluate completed applications once all materials (unofficial transcripts, test scores, recommendations, etc.) have been submitted online. After review by the Director, the Committee’s recommendations are forwarded to the Graduate School. Final decision on admission rests with the dean of the Graduate School. The application packet is considered as a whole. Applicants can expect to receive a decision 4-6 weeks after the application deadline.