Writing & Rhetoric at the University of Rhode Island participates in a wide range of activities. Please explore our links to learn more about each one.
- The Writing & Rhetoric major for interested and interesting undergraduates
- The Rhetoric & Composition graduate specialization for masters and doctoral students
- The Writing Center for all writers, all levels, all disciplines, all stages of writing
- General Education Writing courses for undergraduates throughout the university
- The Writing Rhode Island Production Lab for our students and for use with any of our Lab Fee courses
What is Writing & Rhetoric?
- Writing & Rhetoric is a contemporary field with its ancient roots in intellectual and democratic history.
- We practice writing with consequences.
- Writing & Rhetoric is writing that gets things done.
Our Program Is:
- Interdisciplinary, with half of our students as double-majors
- Experiential, with opportunities for internships and fieldwork
- Technology-rich, with hands-on and production-based classes
- Community-based, with real-world projects growing from issues of local significance
Our Graduate Specialization Is:
- Praxis-based, emphasizing the interplay between theory and practice
- Sequenced, with a core curriculum shared by each entering cohort
- Supportive, with meaningful coursework, professional development, and interaction with faculty
- Useful, with opportunities for guided practice in scholarship, teaching, and administration