The School Library Media Specialist (SLM) Program is a Rhode Island State Approved Program in Library Media (K-12) and accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), with National Recognition from the American Association of School Librarians (AASL; a division of the American Library Association).
Students who successfully complete this program receive a Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) degree and become eligible for certification as school library media specialists in Rhode Island and other Interstate Certification Compact (ICC) states, including Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, New York, Maine and Vermont.
SLM Program Requirements
The thirty-six (36) credit Master’s program requirements are:
- LSC 502 (3 credits): Management of Library and Information Resources
- LSC 504 (3 credits): Reference and Information Services
- LSC 505 (3 credits): Organization of Information
- LSC 508 (3 credits): Introduction to Information Science and Technology
- LSC 520 (3 credits): School Library Media Services: is sequenced as the pre-practicum field experience (must be taken in the summer or fall prior to the practicum; includes significant hours of pre-practicum field experiences)
- LSC 527 (3 credits): Information Literacy Instruction
- LSC 530 (3 credits): Information Resources for Children
- LSC 531 (3 credits): Library Resources for Young Adults
- LSC 557 (3 credits): Research and Evaluation in LIS
- LSC 596 (9 credits): School Library Media Practicum and Seminar: is only offered in the spring semester and should be taken in the final spring semester. (12 weeks in two placements: 6 weeks in elementary school and 6 weeks in secondary school
SLM Program Information
SLM Course Materials
LSC 596 Directory of participating practicum placement locations. This document is intended for quick reference. For further contact information for specific sites, please refer to the binder kept in Rodman Hall.
If you are a School Library Media Specialist and would like to become one of our practicum mentors, you can download the our form here. Please e-mail the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org and it will be reviewed for inclusion in our directory.