The following are required for admission to the MLIS program. Candidates applying to the School Library Media program or a Dual-Degree program should refer to the sites describing additional admission requirements to these programs.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution (two official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended are required).
- An undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or better.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Miller Analogies. Test scores at the 50th percentile or above. GRE or MAT waived for applicants with a Master’s degree or who have achieved a3.3 grade point average or above in their undergraduate degree. The School Code for URI is #3919.
- Two letters of recommendation, preferably from previous instructors or employers.
- A current resume.
- A statement of purpose. (The online application form refers to this as a “personal statement.” Please see our GSLIS FAQ link for information on what we expect.)
- $65 application fee for both instate and out of state applicants.
- Proof of residency in the state of Rhode Island for instate tuition, or MA, ME, NH, CT or VT for regional tuition. Please send form by mail to GSLIS Main Office.
Please view the link below for a list of potential admissions forms you may need. The Student Resources page also holds additional documents for any questions you may have regarding URI.
Below are the required deadlines for priority admission and financial aid, however, we do admit on a rolling basis throughout the school year. The completed application and all supporting documents must be received by June 15 for September admission, October 15 for January admission, and March 15 for summer admission. For university wide financial assistance, the application package must be received by January 15 for Fall admission.
Application to GSLIS is made online through the URI Graduate School; follow directions to complete the online application form. For assistance if needed, contact the GSLIS Student Services Office, 401-874-2878 or email@example.com.
Please send your transcripts and residency form to:
University of Rhode Island
Rodman Hall #103
94 West Alumni Avenue
Kingston, Rhode Island
The GSLIS Admissions Committee will evaluate completed applications once all materials (transcripts, test scores, recommendations, etc.) have been submitted online. After review by the Director, the Committee’s recommendations are forwarded to the Graduate School. Final decision on admission rests with the dean of the Graduate School. The applications packet is considered as a whole.
Please visit the Admissions Procedures page to view more about admission procedures, tuition & fees, financial aid, and matriculation and registration.
TAKING CLASSES PRIOR TO FORMAL APPLICATION
For students interested in taking courses in our program prior to official acceptance, you may submit the Non-Degree application form. Students who are considering the program or awaiting an acceptance sometimes wish to take courses in non-matriculated status before admission. Up to 6 credits in non-matriculated status may be counted toward the MLIS. Form and directions can be found on the Student Resources page.